Sociology Undergraduate Advising:
- For questions regarding undergraduate research, post-graduation plans and potential academic issues, please contact Professor Jeff Goodwin, Director of Undergraduate Studies.
- For advising appointments, please email David Barrera, Academic Administrator.
- For basic inquiries or questions not answered by the information listed on the Department of Sociology website, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students who have taken Sociology courses at another institution should refer to the Sociology Major Transfer Student page for information on how to get those courses evaluated for equivalency.
- The Department of Sociology offers and sponsors many courses per year. NYU Sociology students are expected to complete their major/minor requirements through these regular course offerings.
- While other department courses may include a sociological dimension, this does not automatically qualify those courses to count as substitutes for SOC-UA courses towards the Sociology major or minor.
- Students can petition for up to two courses to count towards the major and one course to count towards the minor. Complete this form and submit it along with the syllabus of the course being petitioned for credit to the Sociology Director of Undergraduate Studies for review. Once a decision is rendered, you will be notified by the Sociology Department via email. No course is guaranteed.
Requests for Letters of Recommendation:
- For first time requests, students must provide a month's notice during the semester and longer when school is not in session (Summer/Winter)
- Please provide written details about what you are applying for
- Provide clear instructions on how to submit the letter
- Provide a personal statement or additional details as necessary
- If still unsure about how to submit a request, please see Letters of Recommendation Tip Sheet for reference
*For Letters of Recommendation by Sociology faculty, please contact individual faculty members directly.