Please review all of the below information carefully.
- December 1, fall only admission
All application materials must be received by 5 p.m. eastern time on the deadline date. If an application deadline falls on a Saturday, Sunday or legal U.S. holiday, then the next business day will be the deadline date.
- GRE: general test required for the Social Psychology Ph.D. Program, but is no longer required and is not reviewed for the Program in Cognition and Perception. Some of our students also submit scores from the Advanced Psychology GRE test. We place very little weight on that score, and do not encourage you to take it.
- TOEFL or IELTS: Either the TOEFL or the IELTS is required of all applicants who are not native English speakers or who do not have a bachelor's or master's degree from an institution where the language of instruction is English (see Test Score FAQ).
- Statement of Academic Purpose: In a concisely written statement, please describe your past and present work as it relates to your intended field of study, your educational objectives, and your career goals. In addition, please include your intellectual and professional reasons for choosing your field of study and why your studies/research can best be done at the Graduate School of Arts and Science at NYU. The statement should not exceed two double-spaced pages. You are free to include any information in that statement that you feel will help us in our admissions decision. However, as we are a research-based program, it is especially useful if you include a review of any research experience you have had (explain what was interesting about it) as well as your current research interests.
- Writing Sample: Not required.