Independent Study is an opportunity for students to work closely with a faculty advisor on a project related to their area of study. Students must choose a member of the faculty in their area of study. If a student agrees to work with a faculty member at NYU on an research question or indepedent project, he or she can apply for an indepdent study for credit (1-4 credits) at the Kevorkian Center. The students must submit an application no later than one week into the semester for which the independent study credit is being sought. The application must be signed by both the faculty member and the DGS for approval. Once the application is completed and signed, please email the Program Coordinator the completed form to register you for the independent study.
It is imperative that students meet on a regular basis with their faculty advisor throughout the semester in which they are doing the Independent Study.
Application and Instructions
The application must accompany:
1. A 250-word proposal or description of the independent study scope.
2. An email from a faculty member to DGS that he/she agrees to supervise and lead independent study with student.
3. Faculty must clarify if independent Study will be registered in his/her department under his/her name or under the Near East Department under our DGS name.
4. You must register on Albert (NEST-GA 2997) for an independent study with the Program Coordinator and decide with the DGS if you are taking the class for 1, 2, 3 or 4 credits at the beginning of the semester. You can also choose to have the independent study count as a Pass/Fail (only at the beginning of the semester/before drop/add deadline).
5. Faculty member must email DGS the grade at the end of the semester.