The Alliance for the Promotion of Urdu Studies (APUS) and the South Asian Language Programs at NYU Present: the Annual Urdu Conference at NYU, 2019
Re-Shaping Identity: Women Writers Writing Resistance in Urdu
Saturday, October 26, 2019
10AM - 6 PM
50 Washington Square South, New York, NY 10012
The day session is followed by a Mushaira: U.S.-based poets recite poems inspired by and in dedication to the Memory of Fehmida Riaz
- Satish Kumar, University of Georgia - “Making, Unmakings and Remakings: Understanding the ‘New Woman’ within South Asian Modernities through Razia Sajjad Zaheer’s Short Stories.”
- Bilal Hashmi, University of Toronto – “Qurratulain Hyder in the 'World Republic of Letters'”
- Mahwash Shoaib, Piedmont Community College, NC - "Daftar-e-Imkaan/ World of Possibilities’: The Lyric of Fehmida Riaz.”
- Sadaf Jaffer, Princeton University – “Ismat Chughtai”
- Tahira Naqvi, New York University – “New Translations of Fehmida Riaz’s Poems”
- Dr. Shehla Naqvi, writer – "Fehmida Riaz"
- Raza Rumi, writer – "Kishwar Naheed"
The Department of Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies