***The NYU Music Department has some important news to share with you.***
The NYU Music Department is changing the tempo of its graduate admissions cycle. Beginning with the 2020-21 academic year, the department will be adopting an innovative “two-years-on/one-year-off” admissions schedule.
**Please note: The 2020-21 academic year will be an “off” year and there will be no graduate admissions for fall 2020.**
What exactly is changing and how will it affect our students?
The NYU Music Department is transitioning from admitting applicants every year to admitting applicants two out of every three years. In other words, the department will admit a slightly larger cohort of students for two consecutive years, followed by a year in which we will suspend admissions to the department entirely. This will allow us to better serve the needs of our graduate program, focusing on mentoring, guidance, and the development of experiential and professional opportunities.
Why are we making this change? It will make the NYU Music Department stronger. The new admissions schedule will also:
• Guarantee a robust and diverse graduate cohort in the years students are entering the program.
• Provide deeper mentoring and more individualized advising to our graduate students.
• Allow us to offer our students additional opportunities that take advantage of our ties to the downtown music community and our location in the heart of Greenwich Village.
• Increase the number of graduate seminars initiated by our current departmental research interests.
• Enable us to increase the number of concerts, colloquia, conferences, and other public-facing events we offer in our “off” years.
• Enable us, over time, to develop more generous sources of financial support for our students.
When will the new schedule take effect?
Immediately. Again, under the department’s new “two-years-on/one-year-off” admissions cycle, the 2020-21 academic year will be an “off” year. The next time the department will be accepting applications is for the 2021-22 academic year. Students interested in applying for admittance at that time should file their application no later than January 4, 2021. The application will become available in September 2020. We encourage interested students to begin talking to faculty and current graduate students about the program now.
What else about the program is changing?
Nothing! The rest of our graduate program will remain as immersive, engaging, and challenging as always. Our graduate students will continue to benefit from our intimate size, collegial atmosphere, respected faculty, and outstanding track record of placement. None of this will change, nor will our commitment to building an exciting intellectual community and providing an open and interdisciplinary environment where students feel free to pursue their passions.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.