The Museum Studies Student Organization (MSSO) welcomes you to the Museum Studies Program at New York University. Part of what makes NYU’s Museum Studies Program unique is the close interaction and collaboration between students, faculty, alumni, and museum staff and experts. The MSSO, a student-run and faculty-advised club on campus, harnesses the energy of these interactions through a wide array of events and activities.
The mission of MSSO is to provide resources for the academic, professional, and social development of graduate students in Museum Studies. We strive to foster a dialogue among Museum Studies students and alumni, faculty, and the larger arts and cultural sector in New York City through the events we host at NYU and throughout New York City.
Our goals for graduate students in the Museum Studies Program are to:
- Engage in museum-related discourse.
- Network within the museum field.
- Build personal and professional relationships within the Program and with alumni.
- Gain skills and information through trainings, lectures, and Professional Development social events.
We endeavor to represent the broad interests of our diverse graduate student population and provide support for students to organize educational activities and social events that enrich student lifeat NYU.
Some of our past events have been:
- An Open Forum discussing thesis and internship opportunities with alumni from the program.
- A Gallery Tour through the art-driven Chelsea neighborhood.
- A “Kick-Start” Your Professional Development Information Session.
- Faculty dinners with full-time and adjunct faculty.
- Holiday parties and special events.