Given the fluid nature of the COVID-19 crisis in NYC, MEIS and Near Eastern have agreed to coordinate the following schedule:
- Building: In-person administrative staffing will be available Mon-Thurs with one administrative staffer from MEIS or NEST present in the building on each of these days; all other days, staff will be working remote;
- Tuesdays: Kieran will be physically in-office between 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
- Thursdays: Imran will be physically in-office between 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
- Mondays: Tandi will be physically in-office between 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
- Wednesdays: James will be physically in-office between 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- In-Person Meetings: If you need to speak with Kieran or I in-person, we will be in office as noted above. For Fall 2020, given the circumstances, please email us in advance to set-up an appointment in which you can stop by the departmental offices. In this way we can manage the foot traffic in the building.
Please note that neither the doctoral program of the Department of Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies nor the joint Ph.D. program in History and Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies will be accepting admissions applications for fall 2021. We will instead devote our resources to supporting our current doctoral students whose academic progress and research have been impeded by the COVID-19 pandemic. To help mitigate the adverse consequences of the ongoing crisis, we will be providing them with additional financial support as well as the most robust training and mentoring possible.
Our decision not to admit a new cohort of doctoral students for fall 2021 was not an easy one, but we felt that we had to give priority to the needs of our current students. However, we very much look forward to opening admissions for these two doctoral programs for fall 2022. The application for fall 2022 admissions will be available in September 2021. Please direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.