Arts & Science clerical and technical employees may hold a dual appointment for a temporary period of time with pre-approval from Arts & Science Human Resources. “Dual employment” or “dual appointment” refers to a clerical and technical union employee holding more than one appointment, concurrently, with the University. Please also refer to the NYU Dual Appointment Policy for additional details.
We encourage all employees to review the below guidelines thoroughly to ensure they understand the scope and parameters of the policy prior to submitting a request. Employees with specific questions and concerns may reach out to Arts & Science Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or (212) 998-8011.
1. An employee covered under a collective bargaining agreement between the University and local 3882 may not simultaneously hold a dual appointment as an Administrator/Professional, Professional Research Staff, or adjunct faculty under the 2110 or 7902 collective bargaining units.
2. All Arts & Science clerical and technical employees must receive pre-approval from Arts & Science Human Resources in order to hold a dual appointment with another Arts & Science Department/Unit or another NYU School/Department/Unit.
3. In order to obtain approval for a dual appointment, the dual appointment manager/supervisor must complete the Dual Appointment Request Form at least two weeks in advance of the expected start date. If approved, Arts & Science Human Resources will notify you in writing.
4. Work under the dual employment may not start until a separate dual appointment timesheet is created.
5. All hours worked under the dual appointment must be accurately clocked-in/out under the dual appointment timesheet and be approved by the supervisor on a bi-weekly basis.
6. Work performed under a dual appointment must be completed in the office and may not be performed remotely.
7. The employee must begin their work in the dual employment at least 30 minutes after the work shift for the primary job, e.g. the employee must start working at 5:30pm or later if their schedule for their primary appointment is 9:00am - 5:00pm.
8. The dual employment hourly rate must be the same as the employee’s primary appointment hourly rate. PeopleSync will calculate the overtime rate automatically if the employee works more than 35 hours per week among all jobs.
9. When an employee works their regularly scheduled hours under their primary appointment, and then works overtime as part of the dual employment, the employee is entitled to an additional meal period of at least 20 minutes between 5pm-7pm. If the meal period is 30 minutes or less, it should be paid. Please refer to the Arts & Science Overtime Policy for additional meal break information.