Requesting a Reference Letter & Requirements
Professor Williams is happy to write reference letters in support of applications for internships, jobs, doctoral study, law school, or other additional education. However, he will only provide you with a reference if you meet the following criteria:
- Take a course with Professor Williams earning a grade of A- or better.*
- Wrote your thesis with Professor Williams as your first or second reader.
- You must provide Professor Wiliams with a two-page CV.
- You must provide Professor Williams with a one-page statement on why you are applying for the internship/job/further study.
* If you completed Professor Williams' course with a B+ you may also ask for a reference, though said reference will need to reflect the level of accomplishment in the course.
Doctoral Program Reference Letters
If you are applying to doctoral programs, Prof. Williams will only write six reference letters at one time. If you are applying to more than six doctoral programs, you are over-applying and need to more thoroughly consider the type of program you are applying to, the methodology used in said department, and the strengths in the department. More than six applications (+1 or +2 with a strong rational) is a waste of your time.
If you want to apply to a doctoral program, please see Professor Williams first so he can advise you on docotral study and also link you to other appropriate mentors at NYU to help you with your application.