Harriette Kaley, PhD, ABPP
Clinical Consultant, Interpersonal Track
B.A., Magna Cum Laude, New York University, 1955
Ph.D. Clinical Psychology, New York University, 1969
Certificate in Psychoanalysis, NYU Postdoctoral Program in Psychoanalysis & Psychotherapy
Certificate in Group Psychotherapy, NYU Postgraduate Medical School, 1979
Seminar in Supervision, Institute for Contemporary Psychotherapy, 1987
Area of Research/Interest
After decades of immersion in theory, especially the interpersonal approaches, I’ve moved in the last few years to a concentration on clinical process. I am interested in both the overt behaviors and the unspoken undercurrents, and especially in what transpires implicitly between analyst and patient that only becomes explicit / known / articulated as the work progresses.
- Psychoanalytic Society of the NYU Postdoctoral Program, Board Member & Representative to Postdoctoral Program Senate
- Professor Emerita, City University of New York (Brooklyn College)
- American Psychological Association, Member Division 39, Sections 1, 3, 5, 9
- New York State Psychological Association (NYSPA), Member
- NYSPA Division of Psychoanalysis (Founding Member and President)
- ABPP Diplomate in Psychoanalysis and in Clinical Psychology.
- Chinese-American Psychoanalytic Alliance, Member and occasional faculty
Honors and Awards
- In many organizations and groups, including APA’s Division 39 and NYSPA’s Division of Psychoanalysis, I have served as elected President, Representative to APA Council, and Board member.
- (2001) Received Division 39’s Most Valuable Player Award.
- (2006) Received the parallel Award from NYSPA.
Selected Publications and Presentations
(In Press) Technology in Psychoanalytic Supervision; A Case Study in Supervision Across an Ocean.
(2019) Knowing Him, Knowing Me. Chap. 11. In B. Willock, I. Sapountzis, and R. Curtis (eds.), Psychoanalytic Perspectives on Knowing and Being Known.
Presentation: Psychoanalytic Perspectives on Knowing and Being Known, Biennial Joint International Conference, Reykjavik, Iceland, August 2016.
(2017) Postdoc Clinic Symposium: Remote Supervision with Chinese Psychoanalytic Students.
(2016) An Unpublishable Paper. Chapter 12 in Willock, B., Bohm, L.C., & Coleman Curtis, R. (Eds.). Psychoanalytic Perspectives on Identity and Difference: Navigating the Divide. London: Routledge. Also: Presented at biennial Joint International Conference, 2012, Auckland, New Zealand on Psychoanalytic Perspectives on Identity and Difference
(2012) What Is a Woman? The Clinical Journey of a Trans Patient. Presented at the 2012 Joint International Conference - Auckland, New Zealand, on the theme of Alike/Different: Navigating The Divide.
(2009) “Confidentiality in the Public Realm: What and Whose is it?” Chap. 12 in Willock, B., Curtis, R. and Bohm, R.C. (Eds). Taboo or Not Taboo? Forbidden Acts in Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy. London: Karnac.
(1999) Kaley, H., Eagle, M. & Wolitzky, D., Eds. Psychoanalytic Therapy As Health Care: Effectiveness and Economics in the 21st Century. Hillsdale, NJ: The Analytic Press.