Contact: Tanja Schmitz
We provide individual or group instruction at Deutsches Haus or at your business or educational institution. Student progress is monitored closely; certificates of attendance are available upon request.
All of our professional instructors are certified in German as a Foreign Language, native speakers, and highly qualified and experienced. Many have also received special training in areas such as business and legal German, translation and interpretation, art history, literature, and film.
Please click here to view our current roster of teachers.
HOW TO REGISTER:
1. Email Tanja Schmitz regarding your interest in private instruction.
2. Visit our UStore to purchase private instruction hours.
3. In-person students only: please complete this short Google form regarding your COVID-19 vaccination status.
Please email our administrative assistant, Julia Davidson, if you need any assistance with this process.
Individualized Instruction (in-person OR via Zoom):
Deutsches Haus offers one-on-one classes tailored to fit a student's interests and schedule.
Individual instruction at Deutsches Haus or through Zoom: 60 min. $125
Deutsches Haus offers two discounts
25 hours at $115/60 min. if booked all at once
For continuing students: after the initial 10 hours the hourly rate is $115
Private instruction at Deutsches Haus is tailored to the needs of specific learner groups. We will create a program for your group that integrates specific content and communication skills and sets appropriate goals.
Prices for instruction:
1 student - $125
2 students - $160
3 students - $200
4 students - $240
5 students - $280
Individualized Instruction at your location of choice:
$145/60 min. after 10 hrs
For off-site instruction, corporate rates, or groups larger than 5 students please contact Tanja Schmitz.
Deutsches Haus Private Instruction Policy
The first agreement is sold only in a 10-hour block or more. Payment in full is due before the first meeting.
Refunds will only be granted if you notify Tanja Schmitz one day after the first class meeting.
Refunds will include tuition minus the fee for the first class meeting and a cancellation fee of $80. If you cancel before the first class meeting a cancellation fee of $80 will be charged.
There will be no refunds for reduction in class size once instruction begins.
If you need to reschedule a meeting you must inform your instructor 24 hours in advance. If your instructor is not informed in a timely manner or you are more than 15 minutes late, you will be charged for the scheduled class.
Unused hours expire 6 months after the last meeting and are nontransferable.
For In-Person Students: NYU's COVID Safety Policies
We are so happy to have students back in person in our Haus! To keep everyone safe, in person students must follow these policies:
- Fully vaccinated = two vaccine doses AND a booster
- Masks are optional
For All Students
- Non-students, inclusive of parents/guardians/companions are not longer allowed to enter or wait inside Deutsches Haus at NYU for someone's class to end
- Deutsches Haus reserves the right to return any slated in-person class back to remote. A return to remote is NOT grounds for reimbursement, refund, or credit.
- Any failure to comply with the above guidelines will disqualify the student from receiving reimbursement or credit and will bar the registered student from entering their class