All students are responsible for familiarizing themselves with, and following, this policy:
1. There is no such thing as an “automatic incomplete.” Students who do not complete course work within the schedules announced by the instructor risk failing the course or getting a commensurately lower grade.
2. Incompletes are granted at the discretion of the professor and must be requested, in writing and on XE’s Incomplete Request Form, before the last day of class, and before the missing work is due.
3. If granted, a grade of incomplete must be cleared by the time set by the instructor and noted on the Request form. New deadlines for submission of all final work are normally within one month of the end of term.
4. Please note that adjunct professors are not in the same position as full-time faculty to grant incompletes, as they cease being employees of the university once the term closes.
5. A grade of Incomplete turns into an “F” one year after the beginning of the semester in which the course was taken unless an extension is approved by the Office of Academic and Student Affairs. To apply for an extension, the student must fill out the Graduate School’s Extension Request Form, which require (1) an explanation of why the Incomplete was not cleared within the stipulated one year period), (2) approval signature from the course instructor, (3) approval signature from the student’s Faculty Advisor. This request must be submitted before the end of one year from the beginning of the semester in which the course was taken.
6. Students may not audit the course, officially or unofficially, as a means of completing an incomplete grade.
All students must complete this form to apply for a grade of "Incomplete."