Applications for the 2024-2025 academic year must be submitted online.
FALL 2024 APPLICATIONS ARE OPEN
Applications are accepted for fall admission only.
The application deadline is January 3, 2024.
MFA Creative Writing Program Application Requirements:
- NYU application form. Please be sure to select "Spanish and Portuguese Languages and Literatures...Creative Writing in Spanish-M.F.A." in the Program and Term section of the application.
- One official undergraduate studies copy of your transcript (Licenciatura or B.A. in any field of study) with translation
- Writing Sample
Fiction or Creative Non-fiction applicants: 20 pages of prose in Spanish (fiction, essay, memoir; can be one story or an excerpt from a longer piece)
- Poetry applicants: 8 to 10 poems in Spanish
- Three Letters of Recommendation Letters may be in English or Spanish. For more information regarding Letters of Recommendation, please visit the GSAS Frequently Asked Questions
- Statement of Academic Purpose
The statement should be concisely written and not exceed one to two double-spaced pages written in Spanish.
- Application Fee
- TOEFL or IELTS Results: The Graduate School requires applicants who are not native English speakers to submit official TOEFL or IELTS score results. The TOEFL/IELTS requirement is waived if your baccalaureate or master’s degree was (or will be) completed at an institution where the language of instruction is English. For more information regarding TOEFL or IELTS results visit: GSAS Application Resource Center
The writing sample is the most decisive factor in the review of the candidate but letters of recommendation, academic transcripts, and the applicant's Statement of Purpose are all carefully evaluated. The program will admit twelve to twenty students per year.
Please note: No portion of the application should be sent to the Creative Writing Program. Any supplementary materials not uploaded with the online application should be sent to the GSAS Admissions office address listed in the application instructions.
Need additional assistance?
Contact Graduate Enrollment Services