FAS Faculty First-Look
NYU’s Faculty of Arts and Science invites scholars underrepresented in the Academy who are: completing their PhD, in the Humanities or Social Sciences OR who are in a postdoctoral position in the Sciences and fewer than 5 years from their PhD to apply to participate in Faculty First-Look (FFL). Faculty First-Look provides a glimpse into what it takes to prepare for future faculty careers and an opportunity to network with NYU faculty and workshop your job talk.
The deadline to apply is January 24th, 2022 by 11:59pm Eastern Time. Application can be made through Interfolio at this link (deadline passed).
Faculty First-Look participants will have the opportunity to engage with NYU FAS deans, faculty, and postdocs to:
- Learn best practices to prepare for the faculty recruitment, application, interview and selection process;
- Write compelling application cover letters, research, teaching statements, and CVs;
- Workshop their job talk;
- Learn best practices for cultivating job prospects, negotiating job offers and deciding what position is right for them;
- Learn best practices for how to use digital/social media platforms to increase scholarly visibility as they enter the job market;
- Learn about NYU’s Postdoctoral Programs;
- Formally and informally network with, and present scholarly work to NYU faculty, postdocs, and graduate students working in their fields of study;
- Meet prospective faculty mentors
Format, Size and Compensation:
Covid and Public Health restrictions permitting, we anticipate a small cohort of 16 people will participate in-person in New York. A virtual option will be available for those cohort members preferring not to travel. Cohort members must already be in the U.S. at the time of the events. Domestic travel expenses, lodging for two nights in NY, and meals are included.
Eligible participants include senior doctoral degree candidates in the Humanities and Social Sciences and post-doctoral scholars in the Sciences fewer than 5 years from a degree. Applicants should be located in the United States and working in fields represented among FAS departments and research centers. Applicants from African American, Latinx, American Indian, Alaskan Native and Native Hawaiian descent, and other underserved populations in the Academy and/or at FAS including scholars with disabilities and those who are first in their families to attend college are encouraged to apply.
Additionally, applicants must:
- Be able to devote a total of four full days: (two identified days, May 2 and 3, in Spring 2022 and two days, September 19 and 20, in Fall 2022).
- Commit to delivering one 20-30 minute talk in the Spring and one 45 minute talk in the Fall on their research project and results.
Interested candidates will submit the following (as individual documents) when the application process is open. Late or incomplete applications cannot be considered.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Dissertation/Research Abstract
- Personal Statement: to include career aspirations, anticipated dissertation completion date and how participating in NYU FAS’ Faculty First-Look contributes to these goals (1 page, single-spaced maximum)
- Inclusion Statement : detailing your contribution to diversity and inclusion in the Academy including but not limited to classroom inclusion, public outreach, community engagement, mentoring etc. (1 page, single-spaced maximum)
- Letter of Recommendation from dissertation adviser or postdoctoral mentor that includes a verification of the anticipated/realized dissertation date.
The deadline to apply is January 24th by 11:59pm Eastern Time. Applications can be
made through Interfolio at this link (deadline passed).
Please contact Dr. Susan Antón, Director for Faculty Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Development at firstname.lastname@example.org.