Summary: Professor Chen Gao used WeChat, a popular social networking app in her EAST-UA 205 Advanced Chinese I course to create an online learning community. Students submitted their essays and short stories based on classroom reading. Selected student writing was published on the WeChat official account “四海八荒青年说 (World Youth Forum)”. Students read each other’s writing and provided constructive peer review via the WeChat app. They were invited to read and comment on other students or native speakers’ responses. At the end of the semester, Gao collected students’ writing, produced a student journal, and each student received a physical copy.
- Build a virtual learning community to facilitate collective and immersive language learning
- Promote students’ interest in writing and build their awareness both as a reader and a writer
- Provide level-appropriate reading for students
Selected Student Feedback:
- “I liked that it was a different way to learn!”
- “It allowed me to view other peer’s writing that was close to my own level.”
- “Reading classmates’ posts helped me in reviewing the content of the lessons.”