Responsibility of PI of the lab
- The PI is responsible for creating and supervising a productive and mentored research environment for their undergraduate research volunteers. By accepting a volunteer in their lab, the PI also agrees to ensure that the student is in compliance with all material regulations and university/institutional policies applying to their research, including providing an environment that does not allow or tolerate harassment or discrimination.
Reponsibility of the PI and the Direct Supervisor of the Student (post-doc or graduate student)
- Review and approve the student's independent study proposal before they submit it to the department.
- Discuss the criterion for the final grade at the start of the semester.
- Provide guidance and constructive feedback to the student on the background, progress, and implications of the project they are working on.
- Provide the student with the appropriate training and day-to-day guidance they need to participate in research.
- Provide guidance, review, and sign off on the student's final paper before it is submitted the department at the end of each semester.
Please reach out to the neural science director of undergraduate studies at email@example.com if you have any questions about these responsibilities or if any concerns or conflicts arise with the student during the semester.