Jesus Estrada, senior scientist at Merck, will deliver a seminar entitled "TBA" as part of the Hero of a Thousand Seminars series. Hosted by Marvin Parasram.
To read an ACS article about Jesus Estrada's journey as a dreamer, click here.
“A Hero of a Thousand Experiments"
This seminar series is based on the best-selling novel by Joseph Campbell called "A Hero with a Thousand Faces." The novel discusses the journey of the archetypal hero. We encourage the seminar speaker from academia and/or industry to discuss their moments of struggle and triumph during their graduate studies to their professional career.
The purpose of this seminar is not informational (i.e., no research content) but rather inspirational through one’s story. After all, there is nothing more powerful in the world than a good story.
The outline for this seminar series is based on the chapters of Campbell’s novel:
• The Beginning – The speaker talks about where they are from and what dreams they had when they were young
• The Call to Adventure – The speaker discusses what inspired them to pursue Chemistry as a career
• The Road of Trials – The speaker discusses their early struggles and triumphs during graduate school/ postdoc
• Apotheosis – The speaker discusses their decision about their career choice (Academia or Industry)
• The Ultimate Boon – The speaker discusses their first great discovery or conquest during their career
• The Hero – The speaker discusses how their discoveries impacted society through research, teaching, and/or outreach