The purpose of this seminar is not informational (i.e., no research content) but rather inspirational through one’s story. After all, there is nothing more powerful in the world than a good story.
The outline for this seminar series is based on the chapters of Campbell’s novel:
• The Beginning – The speaker talks about where they are from and what dreams they had when they were young
• The Call to Adventure – The speaker discusses what inspired them to pursue Chemistry as a career
• The Road of Trials – The speaker discusses their early struggles and triumphs during graduate school/ postdoc
• Apotheosis – The speaker discusses their decision about their career choice (Academia or Industry)
• The Ultimate Boon – The speaker discusses their first great discovery or conquest during their career
• The Hero – The speaker discusses how their discoveries impacted society through research, teaching, and/or outreach