Please note: due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NYU's Faculty of Arts and Science/CEMS is not accepting Visiting Scholar applications for the 2021 Spring Semester and Summer Terms.
CEMS Visiting Scholars Program
CEMS accepts visiting scholar applications from academics who meet NYU criteria and take part in the intellectual life of the department.
The applications are now open for the 2020-2021 academic year. To be considered for the visiting scholar position at the Center for European and Mediterranean Studies, please submit your application materials following these deadlines: to be considered for the full 2020-2021 Academic Year OR for the Fall 2020 Semester, please submit no later than May 1, 2020; to be considered only for the Spring 2021 semester, please submit no later than August 1, 2020.
Renewals: Most visiting scholars are at NYU for one year or less, and in no case can anyone be a visiting scholar for more than two years. Visiting scholars must re-apply if they wish to extend their appointment and decisions will be made on a case by case basis.
Please Note: CEMS does not provide housing or an office space for visiting scholars. Visiting scholars cannot be employed by NYU during their appointment, whether at CEMS or another department at NYU.
To apply, submit:
1. Completed visiting scholar application (download form here)
2. Complete the Visiting Scholar Applicant Certification form (download form here)
3. Cover letter
4. Current CV
5. First time applicants should include one letter of recommendation
6. Please provide a short (one paragraph) bio, with research interests
7. If your application is a renewal, please provide you NetId and your N number (located on the back of your NYU ID card, above the bar code)
NYU Requirements for Visiting Scholars:
1. A minimum of a PhD degree
2. Residency in New York City for the duration of the program
Show proof of financial support—a minimum of $2000 a month
3. Maintain health insurance that meets minimal federal requirements for the duration of the appointment
4. Not be employed by NYU
You can submit your application by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Frequently Asked Questions from Prospective Visiting Scholars.