(Revised May 2022)
It is the usual practice of FAS to cover the cost of moving expenses, subject to taxation, for newly-hired tenured and tenure track faculty for reasonable relocation expenses.
To be eligible, new faculty must move within one year of their initial date of appointment. Faculty carrying titles of Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, Professor, and Faculty Fellow are eligible for reimbursement under this policy.
In order to qualify for benefits under this policy, an employee should use the FAS preferred moving services providers. Three carriers have been selected that will provide complete service associated with moving household goods covered by this policy. FAS will pay the cost of the moving expenses directly to the selected FAS preferred moving provider. Payments will be requisitioned using a purchase order.
If an alternative carrier is chosen, all allowable reimbursement costs will be based on rates quoted by FAS-selected carriers. The new employee is responsible for all payments and expenses related to the move. To seek reimbursement of eligible expenses, once the move is completed, please submit original receipts and a breakdown of expenses to their department. The department will submit the receipts through AP Workflow assigning the requisition to Ms. Petal Wellington as the approver.
Please note quotes over $10,000 must also be provided with other bids (at least two) from comparable vendors.
FAS Selected Moving Carriers:
Expenses covered under this policy are:
- Transportation charges for one continuous move of household items and personal effects from the faculty member’s current residence to the NYC area. If required, one extra stop at the origin and destination to transport professional office materials will be covered.
- Container costs for household items, including books, wardrobes, linen, mattress, cartons for mirrors and pictures and packing materials.
- Full packing and unpacking charges for all items, including breakable items, such as dishes, glassware, lamps, mirrors and pictures.
- Crating and Uncrating of usual items like art work, marble tops, glass tops. Large specialty items like antiques are not covered.
- Normal appliance service covered under the carrier’s tariff.
- Cost of basic insurance. Additional insurance above lowest valuation rate charged or premium rates are not covered.
Expenses not covered under this policy are:
- Laboratory moves. Allowances for moving laboratory equipment to an NYU facility are not considered part of the individual moving expenses, and where applicable will be addressed separately.
- Charges for moving office equipment, houseplants, perishable food, firewood, boats, building materials, domestic and non-domestic animals, and automobiles.
- Expedited service.
- Costs for replacing household items not transported to the NYC area.
- Costs of temporary living expenses
- Storage of goods (unless necessitated by delay in previously promised availability of University housing).
- Tip to movers.
- Reimbursement for expenses used with frequent flyer miles.
Effective January 1, 2018, the US Government has mandated that all personal moving expenses covered by FAS are subject to taxation. The amount covered will be treated by NYU as imputed income in the calendar year that the move takes place.
Per University policy, FAS will pay additional compensation to the faculty member to offset a portion of the taxes paid on the imputed income at a standardized rate to be determined based on the cost and distance of the move.
When the University makes payment to a vendor directly or reimburses an employee who has already paid a vendor, the payment will be imputed to the recipient for federal tax purposes only (assuming the NYS/NYC non-taxable conditions have been met) and will be subjected to appropriate withholding taxes. Because tax laws are subject to change, you are strongly encouraged to discuss relocation reimbursement tax ramifications with your tax advisor. To mitigate the tax burden, a one-time fixed payment of additional compensation will be made to faculty as follows:
- Moves of 100 miles or less $ 500
- Moves of 101-300 miles $1,100
- Moves of 301-500 miles $1,700
- Moves of 501-700 miles $2,300
- Moves of 701-900 miles $3,100
- Moves of 901 miles or more $4,200
Please see the University’s Business Expense Policy (page 19, section 11).
Travel Expenses/ Recruitment Reimbursement
For faculty members and immediate family, reasonable and customary expenses for transportation to the new location will be paid by the University; including one-way economy airfare for each immediate family member who will reside permanently with the faculty member. If travelling by car, reimbursement will be made at the customary flat mileage rate.
To request reimbursement for any out-of-pocket expenses incurred, please have your Department Administrator submit through AP Workflow with original receipts attached, to the Office of Faculty Advancement Associate Dean Staff Path. Air travel can be arranged through your Department Administrator.
Should you have any questions regarding this policy, please contact Ms. Petal Wellington at (212) 998-8067.
Allowable reimbursements are subject to final approvals by Finance. The University Business Expenses policy can be found here.