Welcome to FAS Payroll
FAS Payroll is responsible for reviewing and processing all academic personnel appointments, specifically faculty, research staff, graduate student assistantships, adjuncts, graders, tutors and student worker appointments. We also provide initial trainings for new Department Administrators. We use NYU’s Human Resources system, known as PeopleSync or Workday, to submit, review, and approve all requests to change or update employee payroll records.
Processing Overview & Forms
To process academic payroll, we use a combination of PDF payroll forms submitted into our Google Form and electronic data entered into OASIS (Arts & Science Information System). Please note that OASIS is primarily used to appoint adjuncts, graders and course assistants each semester.
Three (3) types of PDF forms are used, depending on the nature of the payroll appointment:
- New Hire Employment Form
To hire a new employee
- Additional Appointment/Compensation Form
To add a new appointment to an employee or student who is already employed at the University
- Payroll Change Request (PCR) – aka Turnaround Document (TAD)
To request changes to an existing appointment, such as a compensation increase or accounting change
Once these forms are completed they must be submitted electronically into our Google Form with supporting documentation to our office.
Review our Payroll Guide to download the forms, appointment packets, tip-sheets and step-by-step processing guides for all appointment types (NYU internal website)
Also, our Payroll Forms page provides links to the forms and describes the three (3) types of payroll forms in detail.
Once you submit into our Google Form, you will receive an automatic confirmation email. The Department Administrator or Director will also receive an automatic confirmation if they did not submit directly. Faculty and researcher requests are first reviewed by FAS Academic HR and/or FAS Faculty Advancement, as appropriate. All requests are reviewed and then processed in Workday/Peoplesync by FAS Payroll. We will contact you if any required documentation is missing or if there are any questions about your request. Once your request is processed, you will receive a confirmation email for your records.
Helpful Tips for Successful Appointments
- Review our Payroll Guide to ensure all documents are attached and properly filled out.
- When making changes on a Payroll Change Request (PCR) / Turnaround Document (TAD), make sure you select the correct job.
- If you are submitting a new adjunct appointment, please make sure this instructional assignment is also in the courses module of OASIS (Arts & Science Information System).
- If appointing or extending someone on a grant, the appointment cannot extend beyond the grant year end date. If it does, please work with SPA (Sponsored Programs Accounting) to extend the grant year end date. Otherwise you can end the appointment earlier or use a temporary account to pay for the appointment beyond the date the grant ends.
- Check your budgets to ensure there are sufficient funds.
- If you do not have enough funds in your personnel expense budget for an appointment request, please coordinate with your fiscal analyst to request a budget modification (budmod), or you can provide us with an alternative account for the charges to post.
- Please check your chartfields to make sure that you are using the account that you want to charge. Using an incorrect chartfield will delay appointments.
If there are any questions before submission, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Glacier and Tax Compliance for Nonresident Aliens
Glacier is the online NYU system for determining a nonresident alien’s tax withholdings for both new employees and individuals receiving another type of payment from NYU such as an honorarium or payment for services. This replaces the meeting with the nonresident alien tax specialist. Once the nonresident alien is entered into the system by the department administrator, he/she will receive an email to log into the system and answer questions. The system will then generate the appropriate forms to fill out for proper taxation.