Your application to the Graduate School of Arts and Science (GSAS) will require you to answer certain questions and supply various supporting documents. This guide is provided to help you prepare in advance of beginning your application. For more information on deadlines and departmental-specific requirements, please visit Programs, Requirements, and Deadlines.
Questions you will be asked
- Program and term you are applying for
- Citizenship and visa status (if applicable)
- Have you previously applied to the Graduate School?
- Has any family member enrolled at NYU
- Your name (including any alternate name)
- U.S. Social Security Number (if applicable)
- Address, phone number, and e-mail addresses
- Date of birth, gender, and ethnicity/race
- US military status
- Previous colleges/universities attended
- Names of those who will be writing your letters of recommendation
- Academic honors or awards
- Research experience
- Non-English language ability
- Other schools applied to
- Names of individuals responsible for your choosing NYU
- GRE and TOEFL (if applicable) test dates, registration numbers, and scores
Materials you will be asked to provide
- Application fee
The application fee for all programs (except the M.S. and M.S.-M.B.A. programs in Mathematics in Finance) is $100. The application fee for the M.S. and M.S.-M.B.A. programs in Mathematics in Finance is $120.
- Academic transcripts, with English translations if applicable
You are asked to scan your transcripts and upload them into your online application rather than to send paper copies.
- Statement of purpose
Describes past and present work as it relates to your intended field of study, educational objectives, career plans, and reasons for choosing your field. The statement should be concisely written and not exceed one to two double-spaced pages.
- Résumé or curriculum vitae
- Writing samples
Required by many, but not all, programs.
- Letters of recommendation
Required to be submitted as part of your online application and not sent by mail, except for Postdoctoral Psychotherapy and Psychoanalysis.
- Official test score reports from ETS