Attosecond Coherent Control of Atomic and Molecular XUV and X-Ray Absorption Processes by Intense Laser Radiation
Recent breakthroughs in ultrafast lasers development have allowed for the opening of new horizons in the ultrafast experimental and theoretical AMO physics. Following these advances, table-top light sources have provided novel ways to achieve real-time manipulation of correlated electron/nuclear wavepacket dynamics by means of attosecond XUV and femtosecond IR radiation [1-6]. However, more than fifteen years upon the birth of attosecond physics, and after the Nobel Prize Award for femtochemistry, the concept of attosecond chemistry has not yet been fully realized. In this talk, I will introduce the basic principles of strong laser-field ionization and generation of attosecond XUV/X-Ray radiation, and show how to use attosecond VUV and XUV light sources to coherently manipulate molecular dynamics by means of electron wave packet interferometry [7-8]. This novel approach of using attosecond vacuum ultraviolet pulse-trains to coherently excite and control the outcome of a simple chemical reaction in a deuterium molecule, in a non-Born-Oppenheimer regime, presents intriguing new possibilities for bridging the gap between the attosecond physics and attochemistry . Furthermore, I will discuss the recent novel results that demonstrate the ability of ultrafast table-top sources for doing time-resolved attosecond AMO physics in the soft X-Ray regime .
-  E. Gagnon, P. Ranitovic, X. M. Tong et al. Science 317(5843), 1374-1378 (2007).
-  A. S. Sandhu, E. Gagnon, R. Santra, et al. Science 322 (5904), 1081-1085 (2008).
-  P. Ranitovic, X. M. Tong, B. Gramkow et al. New Journal of Physics 12, 013008 (2010).
-  D. Hickstain, P. Ranitoivc, S. Witte et al. Phys. Rev. Lett. 109, 073004 (2012).
-  P. Ranitovic, X. M. Tong, C. W. Hogle et al. Phys. Rev. Lett. 106, 053002 (2011).
-  X. Zhou, P. Ranitovic, C. W. Hogle et al. Nature Physics 8, 232-237 (2012).
-  P. Ranitovic, X. M. Tong, C. W Hogle et al. Phys. Rev. Lett. 106, 193008 (2011).
-  C. Hogle et al. Phys. Rev. Letters 115 (17), 173004 (2015).
-  P. Ranitovic et al. Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences, 111(3), pp. 912-917 (2014).
-  Yoann Pertot, et al. Science 355, 6322 (2017).
The job talk will take place in the Meyer Building, Room 433 at 1:00 PM. Please click here to sign up to meet with him.
Pizza lunch will be provided at 12:30PM.