Kit Fine (B.A., Oxford; Ph.D., Warwick) specializes in Metaphysics, Logic, and Philosophy of Language. He is a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, and a corresponding fellow of the British Academy. He has held fellowships from the Guggenheim Foundation and the American Council of Learned Societies and is a former editor of the Journal of Symbolic Logic. In addition to his primary areas of research, he has written papers in ancient philosophy, linguistics, computer science, and economic theory.
- Worlds, Times and Selves (Duckworth, 1977), with A. N. Prior
- Reasoning with Arbitrary Objects (Blackwell, 1985)
- The Limits of Abstraction (OUP, 2002)
- Modality and Tense: Philosophical Papers (OUP, 2005)
- Semantic Relationism (Blackwell, 2007)
- “Arguing for Non-Identity: A Response to King and Frances,” Mind vol. 115, no. 460 (2007).
- “Cantorian Abstraction: A Defense and Reconstruction,” Journal of Philosophy XCV 12, 599–634 (1998).
- “Essence and Modality,” in Philosophical Perspectives 8 (ed. J. Tomberlin) as the Nous Casteneda Memorial Lecture, pp. 1–16 (1994).
- “In Defense of Three-Dimensionalism,” Journal of Philosophy, CIII.12, 699–714 (2006).
- “The Non-Identity of a Material Thing and its Matter,” Mind vol. 112, 195–234 (2003).
- “Our Knowledge of Mathematical Objects,” in Oxford Studies in Epistemology: vol. 1 (ed. T. S. Gendler & J. Hawthorne), 89–110, Oxford: Clarendon Press (2005).
- “The Problem of Possibilia,” in The Oxford Handbook of Metaphysics (eds. D. Zimmerman & M. Loux), Clarendon Press:Oxford, 191–179 (2003).
- “A Puzzle Concerning Matter and Form,” in Unity, Identity, and Explanation in Aristotle’s Metaphysics (ed. Scaltsas, Charles, Gill), pp. 13–40, Clarendon Press: Oxford (1994).
- “The Question of Ontology,” to appear in a volume on meta-ontology, OUP.
- “The Reality of Tense,” Synthese 150:3, 399–414 (2006).
- “Relatively Unrestricted Quantification,” in Chapter 1 of Absolute Generality (eds. A. Rayo and G. Uzquiano), Oxford: Oxford University Press (2006).
- “The Role of Variables,” Journal of Philosophy, vol. 50, no. 12, 605–631, 2003, reprinted in the Philosophers’ Annual (2003).
- “Tense and Reality,” in Modality and Tense: Philosophical Papers (OUP, 2005).
- “The Varieties of Necessity,” in Modality and Tense: Philosophical Papers (OUP, 2005).
- "Aristotle’s Megarian Maneuvers"; to appear in Mind (2012).
- "Counterfactuals without Possible Worlds", to appear in the Journal of Philosophy.
- "Towards a Theory of Part", to appear in the Journal of Philosophy.
- "Some Puzzles of Ground", Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic, vol.51, no.1, 97-118, 2010.
- "The Pure Logic of Ground"; Review of Symbolic Logic vol. 25, no. 1, 1-25 (2012).
- "An Abstract Characterization of the Determinate/Determinable Distinction", Philosophical Perspectives vol. 25, no. 1, 161-87.
- "A Guide to Ground", to appear in Because (eds. F. Correia & B. Schneider), Cambridge: Cambridge University Press (2012).
- "What is Metaphysics", in Contemporary Aristotelian Metaphysics" (ed. T. E. Tahko), Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 8-25 (2012).
- "A Difficulty for the Possible Worlds Analysis of Counterfactuals", to appear in Synthese (2012).
Updated on 04/29/2012