The Kevorkian Center’s lobby holds a transplanted collection of furnishings from a Damascene house built in 1797 by the Quwatli family, including a titled fountain and floor, moldings, and four sets of detailed door panels. The house remained in the family’s possession until the mid-1920s and at one time, even served as the British Consulate to Syria. In the early 1930s, it was sold to the Armenian-American dealer and collector Hagop Kevorkian who donated a part of the house’s interior to our Center. Under the direction of New York University architect Joseph J. Roberto, the Quawtli furnishings were painstakingly reconstructed. The stones, tiles, and woodwork, which had all been dismantled, numbered and coded, prior to their shipment from Damascus to New York were laboriously fitted into the present place by restoration expert Ichizo Yamamoto. Other furnishings from the Quwatli home are housed in the Damascene Room at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, also donated by Hagop Kevorkian.