LANYU, the Linguistics Association of NYU, is the Graduate Student Organization for the Linguistics Department at NYU. The main purpose of LANYU is to provide a forum for discussion of issues of relevance and concern to graduate students in linguistics. To that end, LANYU organizes and conducts activities that promote the well being of graduate students.
In the few years it has existed, LANYU has implemented several changes to enrich the lives of the graduate students, both academically and socially. The new Graduate Central Space of the department has become a center for graduate students to study in, relax, interact and participate in activities that have already proven to enrich the professional lives of students.
LANYU holds regular meetings to discuss issues such as new departmental policies, new faculty, issues of advisement and course of study, grants and scholarships available, and upcoming events in linguistics (talks, colloquia, conferences, etc.).
LANYU sponsors and organizes parties and social mixers to strengthen interdepartmental and intradepartmental ties. These include traditional beginning-of-year, end-of-year and holiday parties, game nights, movie nights, nights out, and mixers with graduate students in allied departments.
Graduate Student Workshops
Various workshops relating to the graduate students' professional development. Some of these have since been subsumed by the Professional Seminar.
Some previous workshops, many of which have become part of the Professional Seminar:
- Writing a CV and the Linguistics Job Market, led by Danny Erker (April 2012)
- QP Conference (April 2012)
- Using LaTeX, Led by Maria Gouskova and Itamar Kastner (December 2011)
- Using LaTeX, Led by Maria Gouskova and Jon Brennan (February 2008)
- Submissions: Conference Abstracts and Manuscripts, led by Lisa Davidson and Anna Szabolcsi (April 26, 2006)
- Publications (you've written a paper, now how do you get it published?), led by Arto Anttila and Anna Szabolcsi (November 14, 2002)
- Choosing a Dissertation Topic, led by John Singler (March 1, 2002)
- Writing a CV and the Linguistics Job Market, led by Louise Vasvari (March 22, 2002)
- Financial Planning Seminar, led by Dolores Livingston-Hayes and associate (April 12, 2002)
- Abstract Writing Workshop (October 26, 2001)
- Selecting a Research Topic (November 14, 2001)
- Giving a Conference Paper (November 28, 2001)
LANYU Officers for 2019-2020
President: Kate Mooney
Vice President: Alicia Chatten
Treasurer: Guy Tabachnick
Secretary: Anna Alsop