Moving Policy (Revised January 2017)
It is the usual practice of FAS to cover the cost of moving expenses for newly-hired tenured and tenure track faculty for reasonable relocation expenses. To be eligible, new faculty must move within one year of their initial date of appointment.
Three carriers have been selected that will provide complete service associated with moving household goods covered by this policy. Please discuss insurance coverage with the carrier you choose. Any of the following three carriers should be contacted directly for assistance with relocation:
If an alternate carrier is used, all allowable reimbursement costs will be based on the rates quoted by Armstrong Relocation, Collins Brothers or Beltmann Relocation Group. The same policies listed in this agreement apply regardless of carrier.
Expenses covered under this policy are:
- Transportation charges for one continuous move of household items and personal effects from the faculty member's current residence to the NYC area. If required, one extra stop at the origin and destination to transport professional office materials will be covered.
- Container costs for household items, including book cartons, wardrobes, linen cartons, dish packs, mattress cartons, and corrugated cartons for mirrors and pictures.
- Full packing charges for all items, including breakable items, such as dishes, glassware, lamps, mirrors and pictures.
- Normal appliance service covered under the carrier's tariff.
Expenses not covered under this policy are:
- Charges for moving office equipment, houseplants, perishable food, firewood, boats, building materials, domestic and non-domestic animals, and automobiles. Allowances for moving laboratory equipment to an NYU facility are not considered part of the individual moving expenses, and where applicable will be addressed separately.
- Expedited service.
- Costs for replacing household items not transported to the NYC area.
- Costs of temporary living expenses and storage of goods (unless necessitated by delay in previously promised availability of University housing).
- Tip to movers.
For faculty members and immediate family, reasonable and customary expenses for transportation to the new location will be paid by the University; including one-way economy airfare for each immediate family member who will reside permanently with the faculty member. If travelling by car, reimbursement will be made at the customary flat mileage rate.
To request reimbursement for any out-of-pocket expenses incurred, please have your Department Administrator submit an employee/student reimbursement form with original receipts attached, to Kristen Goodwin in the Office of Faculty Advancement. Air travel can be arranged through your Department Administrator.
Should you have any questions regarding this policy, please contact Petal Wellington at (212) 998-8067.