FAQs Prospective Visiting Scholars

What if I have not completed my PhD program? 
Sorry, you are not eligible for visiting scholar status. If you are an international PhD student, you might be eligible for an International Graduate Student Researcher Visiting Scholar position. CEMS offers these appointments on a case by case basis, please email european.studies@nyu.edu if you wish to be considered for the position. 

Is there a deadline for applying? 
A minimum of three months' notice is necessary for all applications, especially international applications, to be reviewed and approved.  CEMS therefore has a deadline of April 15 for all applications for the upcoming academic year (September—August).  If you missed the deadline, please contact european.studies@nyu.edu to inquire whether there are any openings. However, please note, it always takes up to three months to review and approve applications through the NYU Visiting Scholar Office.

How long can I visit? 
The period of your visit cannot exceed 12 months. There is an option to extend your appointment, however a new application will need to be submitted.

What does being a sponsored visiting scholar get me? 
You will have the official status of a visiting scholar and will be given an NYU ID card, email address, and library access. Also, you’ll be able to participate in seminars at the discretion of the instructors and to participate in departmental life - receptions, colloquia, etc.

Is financial support available? 
There is no financial support available, and when applying for the visiting scholar Program, all international applicants must be able to show proof of financial support. The minimum amount required is $2,000 in US dollars per month for personal living, in addition to proof of health insurance coverage. Without proof of existing coverage, you must purchase the University's student insurance. Please visit the Student Health Services website for comprehensive information on NYU’s insurance plans and the process of waiving NYU’s insurance if you maintain your own plan: http://www.nyu.edu/shc/about/insurance.html.

How about an office? 
Unfortunately no. However, there are a few open public spaces in the department where people can work, and visiting scholars do make good use of them.

What about visas? 
Visiting scholars who are not citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. must go through the Office of International Scholar Services (OISS) in order to obtain an appropriate visa. If we accept you as a visiting scholar, we will help you with this process.

How about help with housing? 
Unfortunately no. Visiting scholars are responsible for finding their own housing. Shared apartments may be found through craigslist, and NYU has an off-campus housing office.